Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Ready for a Game


Scripture of the day
1 John 3:18 - Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.

One of my favorite Christian bands is Petra. And one of my favorite tracks off their album, Beyond Belief, is called Seen and Not Heard. The chorus goes as follows:

Seen and not heard, seen and not heard
Sometimes God's children should be seen and not heard
There's too much talk and not enough walk
Sometimes God's children should be seen and not heard

It's a great reminder that actions speak louder than words. As Christians, we should be seen more than heard. There is too much talk and not enough walk.

I remember one job I had, when the boss found out I was a Christian. He said, "I would have never guessed that." At first I was offended by the comment, but after some reflection, I have to agree with Him .

Back then, even though I was a Christian, my light didn't shine that bright. Not to everyone. Only those I felt most comfortable around would know that I was a Christian. And mostly just by my words.

Anyone can say they're a Christian. Anyone can say they love one another, but we need to show others what love really is, what the truth of God is.

It isn't just about putting on a good front or saying the right words. Pretending is futile as God sees right through us. It's about living a life for Jesus that everyone can see.

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. - Matthew 5:16

So why, as Christians, do we not show others the love we say we have? I've come up with three: 

1. We are afraid. Just as Peter denied Christ three times, we sometimes are afraid to acknowledge Christ because of persecution. It's tough to live a Godly life and be threatened or ridiculed for it. But we are told that is exactly what to expect.

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. - 2 Timothy 3:12

2. We are ashamed. Perhaps we are embarrassed to acknowledge an invisible God as we'll look crazy. Being ashamed of God can bring about deadly consequences.

Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. - Luke 9:26

3. We are not really a Christian. We utter the words, "I am a Christian" but our hearts are empty. We put on a good game face, we say all the right things, but we really don't know Him.

Not everyone who calls out to me, 'Lord! Lord!' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. - Matthew 7:21

There are no good or justified reasons we have for denying Christ or refusing to love others. Doing so can ultimately lead to our eternal death. If we say we are Christian, then we need to live our lives as such showing Godly love to everyone.

Heavenly Father, Forgive me of the times I have denied you. May I never be ashamed to show others your love. Even in the midst of persecution, I pray for a strength and patience so that you can be glorified.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...