Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Sunset Silhouette


Scripture of the day
Philippians 2:3 - Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

When I was young, I used to celebrate Halloween. I'd dress up in a cool costume and go to a school party and eat lots of candy. There may have even been contests at school for best costume.

Looking back over the years, I remember some of the costumes I wore. I once was an astronaut, a cowboy and even Batman (with tights to match). It was fun to pretend to be something you're not.

Today, although I no longer celebrate Halloween, I still dress up in masks from time to time. No, I'm not talking about the types of masks one would wear on Halloween.

These are masks to hide my insecurities. Masks that will try to impress others so that I feel better about myself. Those masks could be in what I wear or the words I speak.

There was a time that I didn't even realize I was doing it. I needed to have the nicest clothes, wear the coolest tie to church or stand in front of the mirror grooming my full, thick head of hair. All to impress others because I wanted to be noticed, accepted and hide my insecurities.

Fast forward to today and things have changed quite a bit. Apart from having no hair (LOL), I am more cognizant of who I am and why I do the things I do. I now no longer try to dress to impress and try to watch my words.

Do I mess up from time to time? I sure do! Sometimes I'll blurt something out and realize after that I what I said may have been hurtful. Once again, I need to apologize to the person and then come before the Lord to confess and repent asking for forgiveness.

What I need to be focused on is encouraging others. And thinking of them as better than myself. I still would like to be acknowledged and respected but I try not to do or say anything to impress others. My focus has shifted to trying to help others before myself. By doing all of this we can humbly serve others, glorifying God in the process.

Heavenly Father, Help me shed any masks I have that would disguise who I am meant to be. Let me be not selfish but think of others as better than myself. Give me the strength to walk humbly before you and others. May there be no pride in my heart that will try to impress others.

In Jesus' name,


Amen.


Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...