Friday, February 15, 2019

Sunrise Peaking Through a Morning Haze


Verse of the day
Habakkuk 3:17‭-‬18 - Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord ! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

I remember hearing about a missionary who went over to one of the poorest parts of Africa to preach the Good News. But when He arrived, the missionary's eyes were really opened. The condition of the village was appalling.

Everyone lived in grass huts with dirt floors. There was no clean water in the village. It had to be carried in pots from miles away. Food was scarce and crops were bare.

"How could people find joy in hearing the Good News in these conditions," he thought. But that's exactly what he found. He witnessed children playing in the streets with the biggest smiles. Widows singing their hearts out at church services. Everyone giving and sharing what they could, not really worried about the future.

The joy found in that village is what we all need. When life is crumbling around us, when life seems unbearable or when things look hopeless, we need to be joyful in the Lord for our salvation.

I know it's a difficult thing to do. But focusing on Jesus instead of the storms in front of us will give us the strength we need to persevere through the toughest of times.

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. - James 1:12

Even in the darkest times, there is joy. There are blessings poured out to us. We need to take note of these blessings we do have and give thanks. I remember a great hymn I used to sing, "Count Your Blessings" which had this chorus:

Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.

Heavenly Father, In my time of trouble, you still bless me. May I count the abundant ways you look after me. May I find joy in the midst of a storm. Thank you for your love and that you walk with me through every struggle I have. You are my rock I will stand on through raging waters.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...