Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Railway To The Unknown


Scripture of the day
Matthew 11:15 - Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!

When I first worked for a large department store chain, I had the opportunity to travel to a few other stores and help them out which in turn helped me gain some valuable experience.

One of the first stores I was able to visit was in Yellowknife, N.W.T. and I was thrilled. I had never been that far up north and was excited about what I would see.

That morning, I woke up and checked my ticket for departure time. I decided to go to the mall before the flight and get a haircut.  After my haircut, I went to eat at the food court.

It was fun to be at the mall and soon after lunch I thought, hmmm...why don't I do a bit of shopping. So in and out of department stores I go, buying shoes, pants and shirts. Life was good.

I then sat down for a rest. Then in a split second my heart sank. I totally forgot about the flight. I was engrossed by shopping at the mall, that I lost track of time.

I quickly grabbed my ticket out of my jacket and then looked at my watch and realized I was too late. I missed my flight. My heart sank even further and I started to panic.

What was I going to do? How could I tell my boss I didn't make the flight after the company paid for my ticket? I basically felt my whole life start to crumble in an instant.

And the whole reason was because I wasn't paying attention to what I needed to do. I was totally preoccupied with my wants, that I totally neglected to focus on my need to be ready to go.

To make a long story shorter, I was able to get the next flight out and make it to Yellowknife. All ended up ok.

But there is one trip coming up for everyone and no one knows the exact day or hour it will happen.

Every day that passes is one day closer to when Jesus will gather His flock and take them back home. The trip will happen in a twinkling of an eye and you won't want to miss this one!

So how do we prepare to be with Jesus when we don't know when He's coming? Simple...we don't prepare for when He comes, we prepare for WHENEVER He comes.

This means our minds and our hearts must be ready at all times. We do need to listen AND understand. Many will listen to the Good News and turn away and do their own thing. They heard what God requires from us but truly don't understand or want to understand.

The consequences of not listening and understanding may not have sunken in. Hell is real but I've heard far too often from people saying, "God loves everyone so much that He wouldn't put anyone in such a place. I'll just continue on living as a good person and I'll get to heaven".

Those half truths are a destiny to eternal suffering in Hell. Yes, God loves everyone but he requires us to live for Him, not ourselves. In this time when many have an abundance, we don't want to share our lives with God.

We don't want to give up anything. Our unhealthy relationships. Our material possessions. Our money. Out sin. Or most importantly our own will. If we give, we expect something in return; a tax receipt, recognition or payment back. 

We don't forgive as we should. We don't extend grace to others as God has extended to us and our broken lives. We are afraid to tell others about Jesus in fear of what will happen to us.

Those who have heard and rejected Jesus are eternally lost unless they come back. Those who do know Jesus and are ashamed to share Him to others, may not really understand what is required of them and may share the same fate as unbelievers.

It's simply not enough to know Jesus. We must worship Him as Lord, lift Him up to everyone as Lord and give Him all honour and praise as the King of Kings.

If we want a place in the Kingdom of Heaven, and if we have ears to listen, then let us hear AND understand the true Good News of Jesus Christ.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...