Friday, February 08, 2019

Time for Snow Removal


Scripture of the day
Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

Bullies are everywhere. You'll find them in all places, from daycares to seniors homes. And the filth and lies that come out of their mouths often make others suffer.

When I was young, there were bullies around calling names, shouting insults, etc. at me. I remember thinking of the saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me!"

I have to say, whoever came up with that saying either never was bullied or is in denial. Words can hurt and hurt a lot. I've seen my daughter bullied with lies to the point she's in tears when she comes home from school. It's painful for her to go through and painful for a parent to watch. 

We need to be aware how we talk and how it affects others. Apart from the book of James, here are just a few scriptures that instruct us on speech:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Ephesians 4:29

What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them. - Matthew 15:11

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. - Colossians 4:6

But the are other words even much more powerful than our own, the Word of God. The Bible is alive and active. It's sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword and can cut through soul and spirit.

The word of God pierces our heart, it convicts us of our wrongdoing and transforms our minds. It changes our lives and the lives of others.

Regular reading of God's word keeps you aligned with God and His will for your life. I can easily see when I'm close to God or further away simply by how much time I spend reading the Bible.

His words are so powerful that it shakes up my whole being and changes my life in ways I never thought possible. 

It has the power to help me forgive others (including the bullies in my life). It has the power to help me love the unlovable. It has the power for me to give when I have little to give. And it brings me to a deeper understanding and closer relationship with God Almighty.

Heavenly Father, Thank you for your Holy Word. It is powerful, it is alive and it is active. Your word has surpassed the test of time and will never be snuffed out. How great is your wisdom and love spread out generously on the pages for everyone to embrace. How can anyone reject such truth? I pray for an abundance of opportunities to share your word to as many who will receive it.

In Jesus' name,


Amen.


Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...