Monday, January 21, 2019

Luge Trail at the Ski Hill


Scripture of the day
John 15:2 - He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.

The last time my family took a good vacation, we travelled to B.C. The weather was nice and hot and the scenery breathtaking.

We saw many fruit stands and checked some out. Inside were crates full of every type of fresh fruit imaginable. All picked from local fruit farms.

What I found more amazing was walking along the side of the road and seeing fresh cherries, peaches and apples hanging from the trees. They were just an arm length away ripe for the picking.

But to get these wonderful crops, fruit farmers need to pay close attention to their trees. They make sure they have adequate water, check for any diseases and prune off any dead branches for new growth.

And that's how Jesus works in our lives. He carefully watches over us, gives us the sustinence we need and at times when we are bearing no fruit, prunes off the dead branches.

I have a birthday coming up and getting closer to an age (not going to say it) that is making me feel old. In fact, many times I feel like an old withered tree that bears little fruit.

But when I look back on my life, I see instances when I slowly walked away from God and started to die. I noticed soon after, the Lord would trim back that dead part of my life and renew me with fruit bearing opportunities.

I can see many, many scars in my life where God has been faithful. He loves me enough to cut away the death in my life. It's often not a pleasant experience but one that I am grateful for.

And seeing that God has not abandoned me, gives me hope for a brighter future. I feel in this season, God is again, pruning the dead branches off of me. Preparing me for a life of fruitful opportunities.

I need to let God do his work. I can resist the pain and suffering or I can embrace and learn what God has for me. I'm learning to recognize God's actions and instead of being bitter at life. I can be thankful knowing whatever I allow God to do in my life, it ultimately is good for me in the long run.

May Jesus continue to prune out the dead in our lives to bring about a renewed life. A fruitful life that will please God. Throughout this process may we be grateful and full of joy, anticipating what God has in store for us.

Amen.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...