Friday, January 18, 2019

Ice Fishing on Dried Meat Lake


Scripture of the day
Matthew 7:24 - Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.

I've never seen the Netflix Original, House of Cards, but I've built plenty of house of cards with a deck of cards. The process was fun and often tried to make a bigger house than my siblings.

As a young boy, I remember grabbing the deck of cards off of my grandma's table and then heading to the living room floor to attempt to build a skyscraper. In reality, I ended up with a house of only three or four stories high.

The problem: I was on carpet. The floor was soft and any pressure nearby would result in my cards crumbling to the floor. As well, any gentle wind from someone walking by would also destroy my masterpiece resulting in much grief and frustration as the process had to be started from scratch.

The solution: Build on the table. It was only when I found a firm, stable surface that I was able to build higher. Not only that, but was often protected from breezes as well. I also found the more time I took, the more stable my house of cards were.

As all wisdom comes from God, Jesus reminds us we are to listen and follow Him to live a strong Christian life.

Our solid foundation should come from a strong relationship with Jesus Christ. It should be built on prayer and regular reading of God's word. And we need to live out the truths God has revealed to us.

If Jesus is our rock and foundation, we will not waiver when violent storms in our lives approach us. We will not crumble with the weight of the world but stand strong. And we won't make hasty mistakes in the heat of the moment.

The world will offer many solutions which are not good for us. They promise quick fixes, get rich quick schemes or instant relief. But nothing compares to a strong, Christ filled life built on the wisdom of God.

Building a strong foundation takes time. At times it can be hard work. It can take years of one's life to realize and understand that the best way is often the longer and more difficult road to take. But in the end we are stronger and better prepared for whatever comes our way.

Let us build our lives on Jesus Christ, the one and only true and solid foundation.

Prayer: Thank you Lord for your wisdom that only comes from you. Give us the strength to listen and follow you so that we may build strong foundations in our life. Thank you for your Word that we can trust as truth and live our lives by. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.


Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...