Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Buck in the Camrose Cemetery


Scripture of the day
Matthew 5:14‭-‬16 - You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.  No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

I remember when I was at youth camp when evening came we would have a campfire. It was a great way to end the day with snacks, stories and singing. All of the youth looked forward being there.

One of my favourite songs to sing was, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine". It reminded me of the light we have in Jesus that needs to shine out to the whole world.

And how fitting it was to sing around a campfire. With flames blazing high, the warmth of the fire seemed to melt away the crisp cool nights. I remember stepping away from the fire once, only to come back and see how the much it lit everything up. You could see the light from the fire a great distance away and it lit up all the faces of everyone around with a warm glow.

Everyone needs to see this light. The light of Jesus. We cannot keep it covered and should never try to snuff it out. The light we shine in our communities, our workplace or at home change the atmosphere of everyone around.

I've heard it said, "The only way to get rid of darkness is to add more light!'

When darkness creeps up around us, many of us will hide our light. But the truth is that when we shine our light, the light of Jesus, darkness flees. I've seen this many times.

I've also seen examples in my past where I've tried to cover up my light when darkness drew near. And the most terrible thing happened. Darkness consumed me.

Whether it was denying Christ so I wouldn't look foolish or that I wanted to do my own thing, I always felt alone in darkness. How foolish I was.

But in times when I stood firm in my faith and let my light shine in the face of mockery or ridicule, the tough moments never lasted long. In fact darkness left abruptly. Darkness cannot be where light is.

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. - John 1:5

Lord, let your light that dwells in me shine out for everyone to see. Give me strength to walk through darkness and shine my light bright. May others see your goodness in the light and praise you. Praise be to the heavenly Father who is the light, life and truth of this world.

In Jesus name,

Amen.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...