Thursday, November 12, 2020

Living the Word of God


When I first began to read the Bible it was through a King James Version (KJV). Not only did I feel overwhelmed not knowing where to start but I found the language difficult to read. After many years of reading many different versions of the Bible, I no longer am intimidated by the KJV translation but I also find that other versions can sometimes fill in the gaps in helping me understand God's word.

My favorite translation to read is the New Living Translation (NLV). The language is in everyday language I use. Some may argue that it isn't the most accurate translation but I believe the overall meaning has been preserved and is helpful for devotional time with God.

The words "New Living" reminds me of how I should live my life. We are made new when we come to make Jesus Christ the Lord of our lives. And when we are made new in Him, then we should live new lives as well. The transformation, for many, doesn't always happen overnight. It can take time to overcome bad habits, old sins and temptations that have plagued us in our former life.

But when we read the Bible, how do we actually take what is reads and apply it to our lives. It's not always easy jumping from one culture to our current culture. Or perhaps the time period over 2,000 years ago may not seem as relevant today. We have to remember that the truths found in the Bible are eternal. They haven't changed and never will.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. ~Hebrews 13:8

When we read God's word, let us not just skim by the truths He has revealed to us. It is not enough to know what God tells us but to be obedient and to live these truths out in our everyday lives. And sometimes this isn't easy to do. Sometimes it goes against what everyone else is telling us to do. 

To stand firm in God's word (especially when you're the only one), will give you faith and strength to preserve through the most difficult times. Those moments you choose to believe and live by faith rewards you with a peace and closeness to God that the world cannot touch.

May we continue to learn and live in obedience to God's word as it is the only form of truth we can trust.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your word. Thank you for your truth. You have not changed in over the centuries. You continue to be my guiding light when things are dark all around me. You guide my path and protect me from evil.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...