Thursday, January 31, 2019

Tree with Outstretched Arms


Scripture of the day
John 15:4 - Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

Being among believers, working together toward God's purpose, is one of the most satisfying experiences one will have. When God's people are in unity and all are contributing in whatever way they can, the entire body benefits. This can only happen when we abide in Christ.

When we remain in Christ, He is with us in everything we do. We cannot help but produce fruit. So, what kind of fruit do we produce? The Bible lists these fruits of the spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. - Galatians 5:22-23

There are times in my life when I don't feel as kind or loving or maybe moments I lose self-control. It's in these moments I need to reflect on what's happening in my life. I need to ask myself, "Am I living with the Spirit of Christ in me right now?" or "Who am I serving, Jesus or myself?"

When I no longer remain in Christ, He no longer guides my life. I know someone who will gladly take over and is just waiting to pounce at the opportunity.

Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. - 1 Peter 5:8

That's right, Satan is waiting there, ready to fill out our minds with nonsense! He will tell us that we don't need other Christians in our lives. He will instill in us, a sense of pride. He will distort and pervert our understanding of the scriptures. There are countless ways for the devil to pull us apart from God.

So we need the body of Christ always. We cannot do this life on our own. As long as we remain in Christ, He will remain in us. We must let His spirit guide our lives so that we can be fruitful.

Heavenly Father, I need your Holy Spirit to guide me through life. I  want to be fruitful. Awaken my heart so that I may use the gifts you have given me to glorify you. Give me the strength to resist the devil and let my mind be set on you.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Encourage One Another

  Verse of the day Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. ~ Proverbs12:25 I'd be lying if I said I didn...